This is a ‘Road Less Travelled’ experience.
Sample Rail Trail Journey with The Road Less Travelled
A Bit of History
Opened in 2000, the Otago Rail Trail was built on the Otago Railway
foundations. 150 km of gravel surface with moderate inclines have made
this dream an incredible reality for kiwis and tourists alike.
of the original railway took 16 yrs from 1891-1907. This engineering
feat along with the people and families who worked on and alongside this
rail line, in harsh winters and scorching summers, is a testament to
the pioneering spirit which prevailed often against all odds. Taking
16yrs to complete the rail line from Middlemarch to Clyde, today it is
generally ridden in four days, on trails, over bridges, viaducts and
through tunnels, where an appreciation of engineermanship at its most
skilled, is garnered.
From the old to the young, this experience is a
journey through history where many stories are told far and wide of this
Central Otago land, its landscape, peoples and the big skies of the Maniototo.
Maori, Pioneers, and Goldminers all wove their paths through this land
leaving their marks both visible and invisible.
1861 saw gold discovered
in Central Otago and so began the boom, boom and bust days of the gold
mining era. In todays terms the ‘boom’ has returned and the
lifeblood of much of the region is now associated with the Otago Rail
It is a legacy from the past to the future and one
which has enarmoured all who pass this way. And it is with thanks to
the ordinary people of this land who saw a vision and chose to make this
trail a reality.
Central Otago Rail Trail, Ranfurly Art
Deco Ball, Taieri Gorge Train 6 days::
annual trip is limited to 8 women and there is much interest in this.
So book now by confirming yr place with the required deposit.
I have planned this trip before to coincide with the Ranfurly Art Deco
weekend in Feb 2011. So Cabaret here we come with our gel seats and bike
shorts on :)
I have been very fortunate enough to have booked some of the best
accommodation on the Trail.
It is important that you are bike fit for
this outdoor experience. Also your bike is fully maintained and has had
a recent service check. Please let me know if you need to hire a bike
so I can prebook well ahead. The gradients are fairly gentle however
some days are long rides in the saddle. I suggest you buy a gel seat
if you do not have one.
The fitter you are, the more enjoyable the ride.
So get training girls. The Maniatoto is going to be humming and there
also is a Duathalon on as well that weekend. So its going to be a fab
one.I have incorporated a rest day to allow those ride weary limbs a
breather, so in total the trip ex Timaru, will be 6 days and 5 nights.
Really looking forward to
sharing this Trail with you all, Anah :))))
" ... wonderful fellowship with a new group of ladies in my
life - i am left with happy memories and reflections which i
will carry with me forever - the biking was brilliant to"
Customised according to your group
- A deposit will be required to confirm your groups
Sample ITINERARY in short:
- Depart Timaru (or your starting point) approx 1230pm via minibus
for Alexandra over the Lindia Pass. Approx 3-4hrs travel
- Stay night in Alex with evening meal provided.
- Organise hire bikes for those needing same.
- Yahoo begin the historic Rail trail. Limber up.
- Ride from Clyde to Omakau= 37ks past vineyards, bridges onto Chatto
Creek for an optional lunch and then to Omakau for our night stop.
- Beautiful evening meal provided at The Commercial Hotel, Omakau.
- Omakau to Wedderburn Lodges = 45ks
- Little cute cottages await us and our bikes.
- A gradual uphill day where we cross the 45th parallel.
- Out for evening meal at own cost.
- Saturday night at the Art Deco cabaret in Ranfurly via minivan.
- Rest day with a Tiki tour around and about in our van with our fab
- St Bathans and Naseby.
- The Vulcan Hotel and ghosts at St Bathans for lunch at own cost and
a wee explore.
- Curling and Glenshee vintage fashion at Naseby.
- Dinner at the Wedderburn Hotel at own cost.
- Goodnight at the Wedderburn Lodge.
- Back on the bikes, Wedderburn to Hyde= 43 ks, this time slightly downhill.
- Historic Hyde Hotel will treat us for dinner and a fabulous nights
accommodation and breakfast.
- Hyde to Middlemarch = 29ks.
- Historic two hr Taieri Railway journey will take us through the old
trails to Dunedin leaving Pukerangi about 4pm.
- Takeaways at own cost
in Dunedin homeward bound with driver to Timaru.
- ETA in Timaru approx
A more detailed itinerary will be available nearer the time of your
trip. Get those bike legs on and start training as it will be an awesome
outdoor experience with The Road Less Travelled. Don't hesitate, Contact